Wednesday, 26 April 2017

In your experience, detail how the post production of your media products developed your creative skills

During my AS media course I have created a hip-hop magazine cover, its content page and a doubple page spread. During the post production I had to develop creative skills that were related to image making and the use of Photoshop. Throughout my A2 media studies course I have created a digipak and a music video clip that required me to develop my creative skills even further and develop a different point of view to complete the task, that was different to last year's course because it included a video to be created too.

During my AS media course my creative skills were limited, especially at the very beginning of the course when creating the ancillary task. However during after researching methods and ways to improve my content and my creative product I have managed to develop creative skills that i have highly used during the post production, more specifically during the editing of the magazine products on Photoshop. At the very beginning I have tried to follow a specific already existing look of the magazine cover Vibe, featuring Eminem, however as my creative skills developed over time in photoshop, I have expanded my knowledge about layering and different tools, therefore I have managed to use different methods to create a professional and aesthetically pleasing look to my magazine products. I have used tool such as the liquefying tool, in able to increase the size of the muscles of the model that I had, in able to make him more athletic and appeal to my target audience to a larger extent. Further more the brush tool has been a very important feature that shows development of my creative skills. This is because at very first i used the magic wand or the quick selection tool to selectareas that i wanted to remove or adjust, however by creating a layer mask on my image I have used the brushes that allowed me to remove part within the image which was very useful. This is because by doing this I have managed to place the masthead of the magazine just behind the model which before i could have not done, therefore it was placed on the very top of the magazine. This shows that my creative skills have developed to a large extent during the post production of my media products.

During my A2 media course I have had different challenges to face due to the fact that I had to create two different media products, a digipak that included me working with images, and a music video clip that required me to work with moving images (video).
My creative skills have developed to a very large extent throughout my A2 media course, because I needed to take colour co-ordination, house theme, and mood in all my media products in able to create a unified look that appeal to my target audience in the same way.
In able to create my music video clip, I have used Sony Vegas pro 13 as an editing software. Since I was familiar with the programme, knew the basic moves and editing tools, such as cuts, fades, and how to control the phase of the footage, however the special effects and colour gradings required me to look up tutorials. I have used youtube to look up these tutorials, which allowedme to learn special effects such as reverse, black flash, white flash, glitch effect, time freeze. Further more in able to apply all these effects to my music video,  I needed to make sure that the effects are within the right place at the right time within my media product. For this i have used my own creativity, to listen to non diegetic sounds, pauses etc. This was a task that allowed me to develop my creative skills, and diversify them to consider factors such as image, motion , video and sound at the very same time.
For example within the music video there is a part when the artist says "WHat ya mean aha?" and the the writing appears on the screen  on the time when the lyric is being said. which shows that i have considered encoding and decoding and different ways to communicate with my target audience through different ways, using my creative skills in post production.
Further more i have created a black studio background look by increasing the contrast at my footages that i have recorded with a black background, which was a new effect that i have created in attempt to create professional look to my footages. This specific effect has not been done by me before especially within video, therefore it has been a successful way of me developing my skills within the post production stages.

Overall the post production of my media products have helped me to develop a set of creative skills in a large variety of media products ranging, from music, photo, video, which has been supported by youtube video tutorials and my own imagination and views.

No comments:

Post a Comment